MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is an in depth introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the elements of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be used in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually include the etching therapy for the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new type of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to enhance the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, with all the continuous progress of technology and science and also the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects could become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to understand a more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, but there is still room for more optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other aspects of the material can be studied and improved thorough to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been commonly used in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to get explored. Down the road, they can be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. With the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.